Ex-Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger asked for long-throws to be BANNED in bid to stop losing to Stoke, claims old enemy Pulis – The Sun

TONY PULIS says his Stoke side rattled Arsene Wenger so much the Arsenal boss demanded the FA ban his Potters' long throws.

The former City chief claims Wenger became completely obsessed with his side, particularly their long-throw expert Rory Delap.

Wenger also asked for the FA to investigate the grass at Stoke's ground – which he claimed was deliberately grown too long to stop the Gunners' fancy football, says Pulis.

Source: Read Full Article

The Big Bang Theory boss reveals insane budget for iconic Nobel Prize scenes last ever episode

THE Big Bang Theory boss has revealed the insane budget used for the iconic Nobel Prize scenes in the last ever episode.

The CBS sitcom came to an end in May last year after a whopping 12 seasons.

The finale saw Sheldon Cooper (Jim Parsons) and wife Amy Farrah Fowler awarded a Nobel Prize in Physics.

With the couple and their friends getting all dolled up for the spectacular ceremony.

Now, the show's production designer John Shaffner has revealed bosses spent a staggering $60k (£49k) on set decorations, particularly flowers.

He explained to Metro Online: "The decor has always been the tradition of the Nobel Prize.


"There’s a huge floral display that wraps around all behind where the orchestra would play and in front of where the choir would sing.

"I designed a version of the florals and worked with the florist on this. She came in with her team and so we created a massive blanket of flowers and columns and things.

"The flower budget on that surpassed the grandest wedding you can imagine. It was somewhere around $60,000 for the flowers."

But despite all of John's efforts, the end result wasn't quite what he expected when the episode hit the small screen.

He added: "When I watched the final episode, you didn’t really see much of them!"

Earlier this week, Kaley Cuoco – who played Penny on the show – took to Instagram to pay an emotional tribute on the one year anniversary of the show ending.

The 34-year-old actress shared a picture of the cast and thanked everyone involved for what turned out to be her breakthrough role.

Source: Read Full Article

Disney+ Boss Leaves Company For TikTok

As Disney+ continues to grow, there’s a big shift among the top ranks. The executive that helped to launch the service, Kevin Mayer, has found a new job with the social media app TikTok and is leaving his post.

In a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, Mayer said, “I am very proud of what our extraordinary talent Direct-to-Consumer and International team has accomplished in creating and delivering a world-class portfolio of streaming services, particularly Disney+.”

Interestingly, it’s noted by THR that the move comes three months after Mayer was seemingly passed by for the role of Disney CEO. It was February 25 that former CEO Bob Iger announced he was stepping down from the role, naming Bob Chapek, who led Disney’s Parks, Experiences, and Products division, as his replacement. According to THR, Mayer was seen as a likely candidate for the role.

Instead, he will become CEO of TikTok and report to the CEO and founder of ByteDance, the company behind the app, Yiming Zhang. “As one of the world’s most accomplished entertainment executives, Kevin is incredibly well placed to take ByteDance’s portfolio of products to the next level. I look forward to working very closely with Kevin on our global development and the next chapter of the ByteDance story,” Yiming said in a statement.

Replacing Mayer at Disney is Rebecca Campbell, who will step into the role of chairman of Direct-to-Consumer and International. Her most recent role with the company was as president of the Disneyland Resort.

Image credit: Disney Parks

Source: Read Full Article

Ex EastEnders boss in hospital after Bafta award falls on his head

Ex EastEnders boss Dominic Treadwell-Collins was knocked unconscious after his Bafta award fell onto his head.

Treadwell-Collins lost ‘a lot of blood’ and had to be taken to hospital.

Posting a photo of the Bafta trophy, the 42-year-old wrote: ‘So…this (note the newly chipped nose…’

Documenting the incident on his Instagram page, he also posted a photo to his followers of a large bandage on his forehead.

Continuing the story, the TV producer captioned the photo: ‘Fell off the top of a cupboard and onto my head.’

He received the Bafta in 2016 when EastEnders was awarded the trophy for Soap and Continuing Drama.


Treadwell-Collins added a picture of himself with a mask over his mouth and nose which he likely wore in hospital to protect himself from coronavirus.

His caption read: ‘3.5kg of bronze. A lot of blood and then I passed out. Ambulanced to A&E.’

Another photo of his Bafta had the caption: ‘Think Bafta came off worse…Drama.’



He served as executive producer on the BBC soap from 2013 to 2016.

Treadwell-Collins has also worked on Family Affairs and created the spin off Redwater, starring Shane Richie and Jessie Wallace as Kat and Alfie Moon.

Source: Read Full Article

Academy boss says opposing reopening schools is 'rather middle class'

Opposition to reopening schools is ‘middle class’ and harms disadvantaged children who miss school, says academy chief

  • Oasis Charitable Trust founder Steve Chalke said opposition was ‘middle class’
  • Suggested disadvantaged children would be at greater risk if reopening delayed
  • Teacher unions have threatened to sue school chiefs if teachers are ‘put at risk’

An academy chief has called opposition to the reopening of schools ‘rather middle class’ and said it could pose great risk to children ‘stuck in a council block, with no fresh air, no exercise and little or no nutritious food.’

Steve Chalke, founder of one of England’s biggest academy trusts, Oasis Charitable Trust, has suggested attempts to stop children going back to primary schools on June 1 could have a detrimental effect on disadvantaged pupils.    

Over the past week a fierce debate as to whether children should return to school after the summer half-term has exploded between the schools, government and teaching unions. 

Steve Chalke, founder of one of England’s biggest academy trusts, Oasis Charitable Trust, said attempts to stop children going back to primary schools in June was ‘rather middle class’. Picture: Stock

Boris Johnson ordered the closure of schools on March 18, just days before the national lockdown was introduced, with many remaining open to look after vulnerable children and those of frontline key workers. 

Under new government plans to ease the country out of lockdown, children in reception, Year 1 and Year 6 could start back on June 1 with smaller class sizes, of no more than 15, with procedures in place to limit the spread of the virus. 

Yesterday Education Secretary Gavin Williamson demanded teachers union do their ‘duty’ and stop their blanket objections to the proposed phased return.  

In response Britain’s second-largest teaching union, NASUWT, threatened to sue school chiefs if they put teachers ‘at risk’. 

The union, which has 310,000 members, wrote to headteachers, academy bosses and local authorities to outline their stance. 

In the letter the union said: ‘No teacher should be expected to go into a school that is not safe and until it can be demonstrated that it is safe to do so we will be continuing to support and advise members on that basis.’ 

Of the 35 schools within Mr Chalke’s trust, 45 per cent of children are eligible for free school meals. 

He told The Times staying away from school could pose greater to risks to these pupils.  

Mr Chalke said children from disadvantaged background would be at greater risk if they were to miss more school due to a delay in reopening. Picture: Stock

He said: ‘The greatest risks for many of our children are being stuck in a council block, with no fresh air, no exercise, little or no nutritious food.’

The Oasis boss suggested many pupils would also be at a disadvantage from missing lessons because many of them ‘live in cramped conditions with little digital access’ making it difficult for them to learn effectively online.

Despite his comments, Mr Chalke added that his school would not force pupils or staff to attend and  stated that he respected the union’s stance.  

In attempt to ease the tensions, union chiefs have been offered a briefing with the Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty this afternoon to reassure them the plans are safe for children, staff and parents. 

Source: Read Full Article

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta shares training tips with LA Rams boss Sean McVay during two-hour video call – The Sun

LA RAMS head coach Sean McVay revealed he has spent lockdown getting tips from Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta.

With connections between the two sporting heavyweights through the ownership of the Kroenke family, McVay had a unique chance to pick the brains of the recently appointed Gunners chief.

McVay is known for his methodical coaching style, much like Man City manager Pep Guardiola.

The pair are said to have shared a two-hour video call that also included Arsenal technical director Edu and head of football Raul Sanllehi.

And he said: “Arteta is really an impressive guy.

“I think he’ll do a great job, and I'm certainly a fan of Arsenal and love following them, just through those relationships, through the Kroenke family.

“But it was more than anything a chance for us to connect, kind of share some ideas.”

Arteta was said to be keen on hearing from McVay, with the Spaniard especially interested in how NFL teams train in units.

NFL squads, which have more than 50 players, practise separately – offence and defence are separate and eight positional groups splinter off.

No more than five players are currently allowed on the training pitches at London Colney at any one time.

Source: Read Full Article

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has four major issues over Premier League returning to action including neutral venues  – The Sun

FRANK LAMPARD says football cannot return if there is any risk to the health of players and staff.

The Chelsea boss is as eager as anyone for the Premier League season to resume after the suspension caused by the coronavirus crisis.

⚠️ Read our coronavirus in sport live blog for the latest news & updates

He told BT Sport: “We’re all aware of the nation’s desire to get football back on because of what it means, the escapism and how we love our football.

“I’m also very aware of the obstacles. There are many obstacles that people will have to go through.

“I’m certainly not pointing fingers, I think we’re all working in the same direction: we want it back.

“But of course health and safety comes first. Now all the steps to try and get that in place have got to be the important thing.

“Because we cannot risk the health of players and staff who are working in football. We can’t.”

But the Blues boss has raised four major concerns he believes must be dealt with before the current campaign can resume.

1. Tests taking away from NHS

At the moment the plan is to resume the season on June 12 and stage matches behind closed doors at neutral grounds – if the Government gives the green light.

Players are set to be tested for Covid-19 twice a week, meaning the Premier League are planning on finding – and funding – over 10,000 tests between the start of training and the end of the season.

Lampard agrees with the regular testing for players and staff, but only if it does not take precedent over those working on the frontline for the NHS.

He explained: "The other issue, I suppose, is when we talk about the testing that we're going to be doing.

"I think we have about 70 or 80 staff at Cobham, minimum if we're going to restart training.

"And if we're going to test regularly, that's fine, but when we look around the world I don't know the testing numbers for the NHS, and care workers and people that are doing these incredible roles and incredible jobs over the last two months or so.

"I don't think it would sit well, not just with me, but with anybody if we didn't make sure that people are getting tested on that frontline.

"So I think that's important for football to take its place."

2. Social distancing

Big-name players including Sergio Aguero have voiced fears about returning to training and putting themselves and their families in danger of infection.

Premier League clubs agreed during their video conference on Friday on a target date of May 18 to return to full training, with match days following three weeks later.

But social distancing measures are likely to be in place for months to come and Lampard said: “At the moment the county is practising social distancing so well and the fact that we play this contact sport.

“How are we going to not put the players at risk within that,in terms of how the next few weeks will look, if we can get to a stage where that can happen?”

3. Neutral venues and integrity

In a bid to ensure the season will not be scrapped, like has been the case in France and Holland, Premier League teams have agreed to use neutral stadiums.

No club will play in their own stadium, to try to ensure a degree of equality in the unprecedented circumstances, a factor Lampard reckons brings integrity problems with home advantage now wiped out.
He said: "We probably have the integrity football issues which would be neutral venues."

4. Out-of-contract players

Huge uncertainty surrounds players whose contracts expire on June 30, while teams will be banned from trying to recall stars from their loans.

Fifa’s legal director Emilio Garcia Silvero revealed chiefs will simply refuse to ratify any attempts to register with another club until the 2019-20 season has been either completed or officially closed.

Chelsea have Willian, Pedro and Olivier Giroud all out of contract next month, leaving Lampard sweating over his squad depth if the season resumes.

The Blues boss said: "We have a couple of major players (out of contract), so there are many conversations I think."

Source: Read Full Article