Mother, 34, claims her toddler was left screaming in agony with her face ‘burning’ seconds after applying Lidl baby lotion

  • Mum Lezah Thompson, 34, used Lidl’s own brand of lotion on her daughter Thea 
  • The three-year-old’s face was burned and covered in red blotches for 24 hours
  • Mrs Thompson, of Derry, Northern Ireland, complained to Environmental Health
  • Lidl insists they have ‘rigorous quality control’ and this was an ‘isolated incident’

A mum claims her toddler was left screaming that her face was ‘burning’ within seconds of applying Lidl baby lotion – leaving her face covered in red welts.

Lezah Thompson had run out of her usual baby lotion and decided to buy Lidl’s own brand, Lupilu, instead while out doing her weekly shop.

The 34-year-old stay-at-home mum says she applied the cream to her daughter Thea’s face as usual but within seconds she was ‘squealing’ in pain.

Lezah Thompson’s three year-old daughter Lezah suffered burns and red blotches to her face for 24 hours after using Lidl’s own brand of baby lotion

Mrs Thompson, 34, pictured with husband Pat, 34, and daughter Thea (as a baby), has complained about the product to Environmental Health and Lidl

After quickly rinsing the lotion off under the sink, the three-year-old was left with sore, red blotches all over her face for the next 24 hours.

After sharing her child’s ordeal on social media, Mrs Thompson says she was encouraged by someone to report it officially.

Derry City Council confirmed that its Environmental Health team had received a complaint and are currently investigating the matter.

Lidl said they have ‘rigorous quality control processes’ and this was an ‘isolated incident’ but confirmed they were investigating the incident.

Lidl’s own brand of Lupilu baby lotion, which left marks on Thea’s face

Mrs Thompson, from Derry, Northern Ireland, said: ‘I normally use Johnson’s but I’d run out of that so and I was out in Lidl doing my shopping so I thought I’ll give that a try.  

‘I just dabbed it on her face, on her cheeks, forehead and chin and just before rubbing it in she said ‘mummy that’s burning me’ and I looked down and saw the red.

‘I knew straight away that something was wrong – I just thought that’s not normal.

‘I got her to the water quickly and rinsed it off. She had red blotches all over her face and she started really squealing and saying it was burning.

‘It happened within seconds. For the rest of the day I had to keep putting a damp cloth on her face to cool it down.

‘I gave her paracetamol and thought if it’s still like that tomorrow then I’ll take her to the doctor and get her seen to.

‘It happened within seconds.  

‘For the rest of the day I had to keep putting a damp cloth on her face to cool it down.

‘I gave her paracetamol and thought if it’s still like that tomorrow then I’ll take her to the doctor and get her seen to.

‘I’ll definitely never be using that lotion again.’

After a painful 24 hours with red-raw skin, thankfully little Thea’s burns began to calm down the following day when the redness began to subside.

Mrs Thompson insists that her daughter has never had an allergic reaction to any cream or cosmetic product and so reported it to Lidl for them to investigate.

She said: ‘I contacted Lidl and they said they’d get quality assurance to look into it for me and get back to me.

‘I asked them multiple times through the week if there were any updates. They asked how long before the symptoms started, how long did it take to go down and did I take her to a doctor.

‘I reported it to Environmental Health…. So they’re looking into it as well. They said they’ve contacted Lidl but haven’t heard back from them yet. 

Mrs Thompson insists that her daughter Thea has never had an allergic reaction to any cream or cosmetic product

Thea, pictured here with her younger siblings Teddie and Calla, has made a good recovery since the incident

‘Lidl asked me to send the product to them but I haven’t because Environmental Health told me to hold off as they might need the product. If they don’t I’ll send it back to Lidl.’

The mum of three says she just feels lucky that she was able to wash the lotion off quick enough before it did worse damage to her daughter’s skin.

Mrs Thompson and her husband Pat, 34, are also both relieved that they didn’t use the lotion on either of their two younger children as well – Teddie, two, and Calla, one – who would have been unable to tell them if something was wrong.

A Lidl spokesperson said: ‘Customer and product safety is of the utmost importance to Lidl. We have rigorous quality control processes in place to ensure that our products adhere to the highest standards.

‘Our Customer Services team made our Quality Assurance team aware of a complaint from a customer. The Quality team opened an investigation and began the process of obtaining information from the customer.

Mr and Mrs Thompson, pictured here with daughter Thea, now aged three, and son Teddie, now two, say they are relieved they did not use the lotion on their two younger children

‘At this moment this is an ongoing case and have engaged with the customer at all stages. A request was made to return the product to Lidl so we could ensure it was tested – unfortunately the product has yet to be returned and therefore we cannot progress with the investigation.

‘There have been no additional complaints relating to this product so at this point in time it is in an isolated incident.’

A spokesperson for Derry City and Strabane District Council confirmed that its Environmental Health team had received a complaint and are currently investigating the matter.

The spokesperson added they were not in a position to provide any further information while the investigation is ongoing. 

Lidl and Derry City and Strabane District Council have been contacted for further comment by Mail Online 

Source: Read Full Article