A FAMILY were delivered a rather unwanted Christmas gift after discovering a dead MOUSE in their ready-made Sainsbury’s salad.
The supermarket giant was forced to launch an investigation today after the horrid discovery left the family physically ill.
Christine Egerton, from The Isle of Wight, Hants, and her son, Michael, were preparing for their evening meal.
Michael felt something slippery inside the bag purchased from Sainsbury's on Foxes Road just before Christmas.
A dead mouse then dropped onto the cutting board he was using.
The pair were hit with an unbearable odour and were forced to open all the windows in the flat to let out the rancid stench.
Ms Egerton described the smell as “horrendous” and said it made her and Michael “physically sick”.
She added: “All the food was thrown away and we had to clean everywhere. Poor Michael washed his hands repeatedly all night."
Ms Egerton said the experience was a golden advert for “grow your own veg”.
Describing the incident, Ms Edgerton said she would ”NEVER be getting this EVER again it blooming reeked as to say we are not eating tonight all food thrown away we all puked up.
Unsurprisingly, the family were put off their Boxing Day dinner and will be checking their salad twice in the future.
Ms Egerton also added that finding a mouse in her salad had encouraged her to give up on her diet and she would be returning to eating chips in the hope of avoiding future scares.
A spokesman for Sainsbury's said: “We are in touch with the customer and are investigating the issue.
"We have apologised for her experience and offered a gesture of goodwill.”
Despite the horror of the incident, Christine was quick to pay tribute to the supermarket for its response.
She added: "Jackie from Sainsbury's in Newport has phoned me this morning to apologise.”
“They are sending the bag and contents off for everything to be investigated and have been very apologetic.”
"They are doing everything possible to sort things out for us, for which I want to thank them."
Source: Read Full Article