A MAN accused of shooting Met Police sergeant Matt Ratana dead is due to appear in court today.

Louis De Zoysa, 25, blasted the cop four times during a search at Croydon Custody Centre, South London, on September 25, 2020.

Sgt Ratana, who had served with the Met since 1991, was the first ever officer to be killed inside a British police station.

Prosecutors say he was shot while De Zoysa, of Banstead, Surrey, was handcuffed and in a holding cell.

The first bullet hit Sgt Ratana – leaving him with a fatal wound to the chest.

The fourth and final round hit De Zoysa in the neck, causing injuries to himself.


Mum, 26, was high on nitrous oxide when she killing passenger, 28, in crash

Boy, 15, arrested after woman seriously injured in stabbing outside home

During a hearing back in April, De Zoysa denied murder.

He appeared via video link from a hospital bed where he was being treated for brain damage following the shooting.

Sitting in a wheelchair, De Zoysa held up a whiteboard with the words "not guilty" written on it.

His trial, which is expected to last three weeks, will now start today at Northampton Crown Court.

Most read in The Sun


Holly Willoughby makes Phillip vow after humiliation of This Morning return


Heartbreaking new details of how Bournemouth victims are believed to have died


Princess Eugenie has given birth to a boy & reveals sweet meaning behind name

low blow

This Morning fans spot 'hidden message' to Phillip in her emotional TV statement

It's understood De Zoysa will not appear in person.

Sgt Ratana had tragically been planning to propose to his partner of six years Su Bushby when he was killed.

She previously paid tribute to the hero cop, saying: "There aren’t really any words for how I am feeling right now about the loss of Matt; about losing someone I loved and was so close to in such a tragic manner.

“I know Matt touched many, many people’s lives with his friendliness, patience, kindness, enthusiasm and caring ways.

“I had the pleasure of sharing five years of my life with this lovely man – my gentle giant, with his infectious smile and big heart. I think of him with tenderness and love.

“Matt was my partner, friend, confidant, support and soul mate.

“He will be greatly missed but never forgotten. Matt will always be in my head and in my heart."

Sgt Ratana had moved to work in custody because it was safer before the tragedy.

Pals said Sgt Ratana, dad to a grown-up son, dreamed of travelling Europe on his motorbike then coaching at his rugby club in Sussex.

Source: Read Full Article