Andrew Neil is ‘likely to quit’ GB News following a rift with the channel’s chief executive and other top bosses, as it is confirmed he will not make a return to his evening show next week
- Neil announced less than two weeks after launch in June he was taking a break
- He was reportedly set to return on Monday, September 6, but now will not
- Has been speculation that he has fallen out with CEO Angelos Frangopoulos
Andrew Neil’s future at GB News looks increasingly uncertain as it was confirmed he will not make a return to his evening show next week as expected.
The ex-BBC political presenter is now expected to quit the channel entirely after presenting just two weeks’ worth of shows before going on an extended holiday more than two months ago.
Sources last night suggested the Scottish broadcaster was unlikely to return to the channel at all following reports of a rift with its chief executive Angelos Frangopoulos along with senior management.
While Neil had been one of the star signings for the Right-leaning channel when it launched back in June, he has only presented a handful of episodes of his show.
He was expected to return to his slot on Monday evening but it has now been confirmed that his stand-in, former Sky News host Colin Brazier, will continue in the role at the beginning of next week.
Andrew Neil will not return to GB News next week as expected, as speculation about a rift between him and the channel’s top team continues to grow. The veteran broadcaster, 72, who is chairman of the channel, announced less than two weeks after its launch in June that he was taking a break but would be back ‘before the summer is out’
Brazier tweeted yesterday: ‘Having safely negotiated several exciting DIY driving lessons with Daughter No 3 this week, delighted to report my ‘week off’ is over. Back in the Andrew Neil chair again, from 8pm Monday.’
Neil, who is also chairman of the channel, had previously said that he was simply ‘taking a break’ from his show to ‘replenish my batteries after the rigours of the launch’.
Following his show on June 24 he said he would be back ‘before the summer is out’. The channel said it would ‘look forward’ to welcoming him back in September.
But there is now no scheduled date for his return and show insiders are increasingly doubtful that he will be back at all.
The launch of the channel, which features presenters including Alastair Stewart and Nigel Farage, was a chaotic affair marred by technical issues lasting for the first few weeks.
Companies also began to pull their advertising from the channel as a result of pressure from Left-wing activists.
And despite getting off to a reasonably impr- essive start in terms of viewing figures, the channel saw them plummet with claims that at some points shows were drawing in zero viewers.
Sources last night suggested the Scottish broadcaster was unlikely to return to the channel at all following reports of a rift with its chief executive Angelos Frangopoulos (above) along with senior management
Presenter Guto Harri then quit the channel after he was suspended for taking the knee on air in a protest against racism. Neil is thought to have fallen out with management over what he saw as the channel’s premature and shambolic launch.
Yesterday GB News announced that journalist Isabel Oakeshott will present a weekly political programme for the station, called The Briefing PM. The political commentator is already a regular contributor on the channel.
She will front the new show every Friday. Miss Oakeshott, 47, said: ‘I’m really excited to announce I’m joining GB News – my new show coming soon…’
GB presenter’s revenge porn hell – Pages 28-29
Source: Read Full Article