The Queensland government has secured the NRL Magic Round for one more year, but it’s facing a fight to keep the event in Brisbane after that.
The Magic Round, which sees every NRL match of the round played in Brisbane across one weekend, was first held in 2019, when it was considered a great success, generating more than $20 million for the local economy as thousands of visitors travelled in from interstate.
Suncorp Stadium welcomes both interstate visitors and locals alike for Magic Round.Credit:Getty
“While it’s disappointing that despite all our best efforts, the NRL Grand Final still remains firmly in Sydney each year, I want to ensure the Magic Round continues on as a standout annual fixture in our state.”
Mr V’landys has previously expressed support for the Magic Round concept remaining in Brisbane due to its success so far, but it’s understood that its very success has now made it attractive to other states.
Queensland Sport Minister Stirling Hinchliffe told reporters on Sunday that while he couldn’t confirm which states were circling Magic Round, there was interest in the concept.
“Because it’s such a successful product, because it’s such an exciting opportunity that clearly brings people from across the country to enjoy Suncorp Stadium … and the atmosphere that the full round of the NRL brings, there are other cities that are interested,” he said.
“We understand that we have to have a good conversation with the NRL, but we know that we’ve got the product, we’ve got the facility that can supply it, and we’ve got a proven track record of success.”
Mr Hinchliffe refused to say what terms Queensland was offering to secure the rights, claiming that information was commercial in-confidence, but he said the government had offered financial incentives to the NRL previously to set up Magic Round in the first place.
“We’ve been able to provide support to the NRL to make this a reality each and every year we’ve done it,” he said. “That support is commercial in-confidence, but delivering $20 million worth of economic value to the city, it’s very worthwhile.”
Magic Round was under threat earlier this month after a fresh outbreak of COVID-19 in Sydney, however once it was contained, the Queensland government let the Brisbane event proceed.
Most Viewed in National
From our partners
Source: Read Full Article